Thursday, May 30, 2019

Amarillo Reflections

"Don't be afraid of being the 'poor' school, be the 'problem-solving' school." That simple but powerful takeaway was part of my learning last Monday and Tuesday as I attended the Amarillo College Culture of Caring Poverty Summit. I was lucky enough to join a team of three from my college, and the summit did not disappoint. We met a humble, inspiring, hard-working group of people who are open to sharing their mission and their successes and flaws in the name of ending poverty and changing the world. We learned about the theory of change which drives their planning on campus. It is pictured above and is so simple and elegant, it almost hides the effort required to execute such ambition. As I said to my colleagues several times during our visit, this isn't complicated, it's just hard. Anyone who has been reading these articles (and thank you for that) knows we have been deeply inspired by the work at Amarillo College, so being there was invaluable. At this point in my career, I can be pretty crusty about conferences, but this one was everything I hoped for. Let me share a few things I learned in hopes you will be inspired to move down this path as well. But first, I'll share some local news video featuring Amarillo College's dynamic leader, Dr. Russell Lowery-Hart.


At Western we talk about increasing the sense of belonging and self-efficacy for students as part of poverty-informed practice. Making those things concrete enough for others to implement can be a challenge, so I love it when someone else says it better than I do. Early on day 1, someone asked Dr. Lowery-Hart about potential abuse of the support they provide for students and he responded simply, "If you need it, we are going to believe you." Bingo! That is creating belonging in a nutshell. Our assumption is that students in the crisis of poverty are already apprehensive about being on campus and the odds of someone providing help and judgment at the same time in their prior life is pretty high. We must choose to simply believe them. It isn't easy to seek help, particularly when people not in poverty have invisible help built into their everyday lives. The least we can do is simply believe the person who has the courage to be vulnerable and ask. I texted the quote to my partner Mandy and she immediately replied believing in students is the number one place we fall down... We can start fixing that on Monday. We need to normalize help because everyone needs it whether they see it or not. And embedded, easily accessible help creates belonging. Let's help with no questions asked (except what else do you need) if possible.


Dr. Donna Beegle (who I actually got to talk with in Amarillo) reminds us perceptions of scarcity often drive our policy and practices when in reality there is enough for all, it's just a matter of choices. Amarillo's Advocacy and Resource Center (ARC) is evidence of that truth. What's pictured is a small part of their "overflow" storage which they use to stock the five (yes 5) food pantries they run across their campuses. This picture reminded me there is enough and it also reminded me there is tremendous need. The amount of food and supplies the pantry goes through is amazing. It is also amazing the staff of the ARC have built such excellent community connections that all of this comes from donors... Amarillo has invested in staff to build relationships and those relationships have paid off exponentially in support for students, increased retention, and graduation. This in turn breaks the cycle of poverty and changes lives for individuals, families, and communities. As I keep saying, it is not complicated, it is just hard, and it is a choice. The ARC is led by a remarkable woman named Jordan Herrera (pictured telling the ARC story) and a team of social workers. The value of social workers is another lesson we are bringing home. You don't have to be one, but you better know one, or better yet employ a few. I will admit to being happy when visiting the ARC and seeing their "grab and go" table, which is modeled on The Bowl at Western (The Bowl) and I was doubly pleased when Jordan and her staff said the no barriers snack table gets filled frequently and the amount of food students take rivals the pantry... If they need it, they believe them, and so do we. We will challenge ourselves to prove resources are scarce instead of starting with that as untested assumption. There is enough, we just need to choose what we do with it.

Part of my own personal evolution has been to move from thought and planning to a bias for action. As someone who really likes context and history, I can get stuck in a loop of looking at options and possible drawbacks to the point of not acting. Dr. Lowery-Hart described a similar shift when he said Amarillo strives to be data-informed, but not necessarily data-driven. I was pleased to talk to him about this idea over lunch because "data-driven" is a pretty ubiquitous term across higher education. He assured me I heard him correctly, and he also explained why he chose that term. He said his observation is too frequently people are searching for the piece of data that will absolve them of ownership of a decision. His vision of leadership is to get data that helps and then move on it realizing he may get it wrong and remaining accountable for doing so. This vision of leadership struck a chord with me as I have suffered from occasional paralysis by analysis and perhaps failed to act. I think being data informed means you are iterative and brave. I think it means being brave enough to own your theory of change and pursue it relentlessly and fearlessly. I was struck by the common use of language and imagery among the staff at Amarillo College, and one of the phrases they used was not to "higher ed" things too much. My reading of that phrase is we need to resist our urge to make the routine look impossible, and we need to be ok with uncomplicated solutions that are simply hard work. I'm not sure I'm as fearless as Russell, and I know I'm not as fearless as his VP Cara Crowley, but I'm inspired to move my team in their direction. This stuff is urgent, we must act.

I didn't expect to cry at this gathering, but I did. It happened when a student named Steven stood up and told us his experience at Amarillo College and said this: "I used to see people that looked happy, with jobs they liked, and nice cars, and I thought, that's nice, but that's not for me..." It wasn't a plant; he was giving an impromptu talk at a session about building the ARC and was sharing about the help he received in the most genuine way. Steven was amazing and such a good example of the amazing work happening in Amarillo. I left the conference with a renewed sense of mission and purpose. I am certain this is the right work, and it has been the right time for this work for longer than I care to admit. The Stevens of the world have a right to see their possibilities just like my children do. It's been almost a week, and I still get tearful picturing him saying "that's not for me." That is messed up, and we have the opportunity to be a solution. The things we will learn serving our students with the largest barriers will teach us how to be great colleges for all of our students. On my last day in Amarillo, I got word we will devote our fall professional development days to poverty-informed practice, and I will have an opportunity to deliver the keynote address at our college day!! If I learned anything last week, I learned about the power of passion and purpose, and I will bring every ounce I have to our campus. Game on!

No comments:

Post a Comment