Friday, February 8, 2019

More From Andrea

For those of you who read these articles regularly (and thank you for that), you probably remember the remarkable Andrea. I've linked her video in case you want to watch again. She has a powerful and compelling #RealCollege story. I knew Andrea fairly well when we did our interview, but I've gotten to know her much better since then. And I was thrilled when she came back to me and wanted to say more. I'm the (very amateur) video editor and while Andrea said she liked the video and article, she also said there were things she wished she'd said or maybe I had edited out. So, she wrote a letter... an amazing letter. And I've included it word for word below.

Dear Mr. Dull,
After our video interview, I wanted to personally thank you. What a privilege it is to have you interested in my story. I appreciate your time and the fact you truly care for all the students. Your intuitive desire for the success of students really has impacted me.
Western Technical College is a place where supporting the success of students is number one! I clung to my education, not understanding why or knowing that it would impact mine and my children's future so greatly. As I mentioned in the video, I was homeless, worn down, and tired of the circle of mess I created. The welcome I received from the counselors and staff gave me encouragement to believe in myself, educationally.
“Name dropping” and giving recognition to each staff member, teacher, goal receptionist, and counselor is very important to me; however, there are too many names to list in this letter! I have all the confidence in saying that each staff member at Western Technical College has the compassion and the desire to support all students in a way I have never seen before; in a way that separates Western from any other community college.
Project Proven was part of the reason why I walked into the college rather than going back to my old ways. That educational foothold was the beginning of my climb out of despair. The Project Proven teacher gave me the tools to study rather than doing what some choose to do in jail like sitting around and playing cards and glorifying the poor decisions that led them there in the first place. The classroom had a library of books that were engaging and reading them was an awesome way to rebuild the reading and fundamental skills that may have been lost through my old lifestyle. Acknowledging God's presence, Bible studying, and working on my education by doing homework, completing study materials, and reading as many books as I could is what supported me through my jail experience.
The Western 5.09 High School Equivalency Diploma program gave me tools to advance in my education. The structure of the classroom time allowed me to obtain time management skills and to be dependable. Studying for the civics exam inspired me to me become involved and to seek knowledge of current events. In the required transitional class, I gained the most knowledge and now I have confidence in myself. I have developed a career portfolio and am prepared for interviewing. Problem solving and goal setting have changed my outlook on life and now I have the skills to succeed.
My financial situation would have hindered me in furthering my education; however, the scholarship foundation has allowed me to continue climbing the ladder of success. Western provides bus passes for all students as well as a pantry with food and personal hygiene products. My life struggles do not need to be faced alone. Personally, for myself, I pray, and God guides me who to seek out for help and when to wait on His timing. No matter the difficulty or the struggle, there are resources and people who care. I have learned that ultimately, the first step starts with me. It is impossible to be helped or to change if you are not willing to do so or to speak up.
Before knowing my identity in Christ, I had no sense of belonging or hope. I was saved, but was searching and trying to do what I thought Christians did. I know now, Christ died for me, for each one of us. So, we do not have to live in guilt and sorrow. I am forgiven; I am not an addict, a bad mother, or any other false tag I or society tries to stamp on as a label. I choose to label myself as Christian, a mother, and a Western student.
In closing, words cannot express the impact that Western has made on my life. I am grateful every moment, knowing my future is not my past. Western has allowed me to have a better outlook and perspective on the fact that I am already successful. Thank you.
Sincerely,
Andrea

Andrea and Mandy
Isn't she something? You see what we mean when we say our students teach us every day. One of my goals in writing regularly about our poverty informed evolution is to give voice to people who might have been overlooked otherwise. Andrea is someone whose voice needs to be heard, and I'm pleased to say others have recognized that as well. Our Senior Leadership Team and District Board invited Andrea (along with my associate dean Mandy) to Washington DC next week to be part of our lobbying efforts. That's them in the photo in case you didn't guess:). Western is bringing someone who tells a #RealCollege story that needs to be heard. I wish I could go too (my coaching responsibilities preclude it), but as our movement grows, it's great to see students like Andrea lead it.

No comments:

Post a Comment